Quotes, Quips, and Words of Wisdom, edited by Benedetta LoBalbo, Hardcover
The fifth title in our popular quotation collection series, this volume gathers words by and about musicians. One quotation per page—the quote on the left and right side of the spread responding in some way to each other. The Musician Says resembles a dinner or cocktail party, with a musician from the nineteenth century chatting with one practicing today, or two contemporary musicians talking to each other—complimenting, competing, disagreeing. This is a collection of bright, intriguing, and provocative quotations from those who have spent a lifetime writing songs and performing them in front of loyal audiences. It's honest, wry, and sometimes very moving. To hear Beethoven and John Lee Hooker "talk" about how they keep track of their musical ideas, so as not to lose them, or Mozart and Steven Tyler complain about ongoing money challenges, reminds us all that the creative process bridges time and place, and music is indeed a universal language.
• The fifth volume in our successful Words of Wisdom series (following The Architect Says, The Designer Says, The Filmmaker Says, and The Chef Says) • A lively compendium focusing on quotations from iconic and much-loved musicians, it is the perfect gift for professional musicians, anyone who plays in a band famous or obscure, and music lovers in general.
• Quotations will play off each other in each spread. Set up like a cocktail or after party, where a musician from the eighteenth century is talking with one on tour today, arguing, complimenting, disagreeing with each other. A rare chance for musicians like Mozart and Steven Tyler to complain to each other about ongoing money issues; for Beethoven and John Lennon to talk about how inspiration often visits them unannounced in the middle of the night; for Prince and Debbie Harry to reflect on what their names me to them.
• Features 150 quotes from an international roster of musicians, including Louis Armstrong, Chet Atkins, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Bjork, Bono, David Bowie, Billy Bragg, Win Butler, Neko Case, Johnnu Cash, Rosanne Cash, Nick Cave, Ray Charles, Frederic Chopin, Leonard Cohen, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ani DiFranco, Bob Dylan, Brian Eno, Ella Fitzgerald, Bill Frisell, Emmylou Harris, Jimi Hendrix, Billie Holiday, Vladimir Horowitz, Chrissie Hynde, Michael Jackson, Jay-Z, Billy Joel, Diana Krall, John Lennon, Joni Mitchell, Mark Mothersbaugh, Bob Mould, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Willie Nelson, Yoko Ono, Prince, Keith Rchards, Patti Smith, Sting, Steven Tyler, Suzanne Vega, Frank Zappa, Warren Zevon, and many more!
• An affordable, smart, portable collection of music-related quotations
• Diligently researched, meticulously fact checked (which sets it apart from many other quotation collections in the market)
• Potential for ancillary gift products
A pianist from the age of five, Benedetta LoBalbo began writing songs as a natural way to merge her Master of English degree with her musical training. After winning the New York City Music Award for Best Unsigned Artist, she began writing personalised songs for children of all ages. She is published by Christmas and Holiday Music in Los Angeles, California, and has produced a CD of original lullabies that can be heard on Pandora. She is currently in the process of writing songs for her next CD.